St Swithun’s Church first opened its doors to worshippers on Whit Sunday in 1910.
The Bromley Common area at that time was developing in order to provide homes for the many people employed locally in the Gasworks and Brickworks, along with many agricultural laborers. Many of these being immigrants from both Ireland and the European continent.
The Bromley Common Mission was founded thanks to a legacy from Miss Frances Ellis who was left a considerable fortune by her Farther. She would identify poorer areas that needed Churches and then work with both the Clergy and local people to build a community, buying sites and constructing Churches with her own money. She was responsible for the construction of over twenty-two churches in the archdiocese of Southwark alone.
The church is one of several built to an almost identical Romanesque Revival style designed by Rev. Benedict Williamson and it is now the only church to remain virtually unaltered.
In 1972 the church was re-ordered and a choir gallery was added to the west end.
St Swithun’s was initially served from St Joseph’s Bromley. Bishop (later Archbishop) Cyril Cowderoy made the area a ‘mission’ and in 1977 Archbishop Michael Bowen erected it into a properly constituted parish. The church was consecrated on 28th May 1985.
On 15th July 2010, on St Swithun’s day the church celebrated it’s centenary with a special mass celebrated by Bishop John Hine and then parish priest Fr Bob Mercer.
After the retirement of Fr Bob Mercer in 2013 St Swithun’s parish was once again served by the priests from St Joseph’s Bromley.
In 2017 Bishop Pat Lynch announced that the Parish of St Swithun’s would join with St Joseph’s to form one parish.